A Day With The Kids

This morning we were ready for a day free of optical duties. After 186 assessments the day before, it was actually a much needed break.
Today we were participating in a community outreach that brought kids and sports together. I was really looking forward to that as the only organized sport I really enjoy is curling and I was pretty sure that wasn’t an option.
But I prepared myself for a day outside by covering my freshly showered skin with first a layer of sunscreen and then a layer of bug spray. It just feels wrong but it is the safest option. We have also decided that doing the sunscreen first is ideal as it is the bugs you need to stave off first so it should be the outer most layer.
We loaded into the van and headed to the church for breakfast. It was on that drive that I found out that there were 3 pools at the facility we were going to and that we weren’t going back to the accommodations for a chance to get swimsuits. I was not pleased about that. What was more encouraging was that instead of traditional sports, we were really going to be playing picnic/team building/relay games. Those I could get behind! I’m in.
Breakfast was simple eggs on toast but the perfect protien start to a day of activity. As we finished breakfast, a group of the church youth filed in to join us in volunteering. They bring such positive energy, I was glad to have them as part of team. As Mabel was waiting on the bench, a group of them surrounded her and said “Hi, we want to be your friends!” Mabel was pleasantly surprised but enthusiastically accepted the offer!
So at 9am, 30 people filled at large van, and headed our for a 1hr drive. It’s always fascinating watching the neighbourhood change as we see more of the country. Today we passsed barrios where the housing was the most basic of materials, mini-markets at roadside stands and large sugar cane and coffee plantations. Overall, I see less animals as part of the landscape.
Arriving at the facilities, there was already music playing and children arriving. The first part of the program had us doing dancing and introduction games which were competitive and fun. We took at break at lunch and headed to eat outside.
A local church had made the lunch, which may be the only meal these kids have all day or at least the best one. The Canadian team were not allowed to partake as there was no way to ensure that it was safe for western stomachs. We had packed sandwiches and cookies for this situation but still it was hard to watch these warm plates of local food right beside you that you couldn’t have. It looked and smelled amazing and Pastor Melvin actually apologized to me as he brought the food out.
After lunch it was full activity time. As the youth were getting the supplies set up and organized, I convinced a few people to take a cool down break at the pool that was close to us. It looked pretty sketchy with no filtration system running an a few interesting thing growing along the bottom, But Mary and I convinced ourselves that the worst case scenario was it would be like a chemical skin peel that people usually pay big buck for. It was fine. We were called over for the start of the competition and were given options of stations. Liz and I choose to be part of the tile relay mainly because the location had a good shade area and it was stinking hot.
It was fun to referee and cheer the kids on, joking around with the staff and Irene and I actually did a round of the relay and won! The old girls still have it!
After each group had completed all the stations, Melvin came and said he needed me to demonstrate the finale. I followed them over to the set up with was a long wet soapy, slip and side that you slid down the first 1/2, bobbed for an apple them got up and ran to the end, handed over the apple then went back. It was a little disturbing as the water, including the ones we stuck out face in for the apples came from the pool and that they were reusing the apples for other runs. I’m glad I was going first.
A few on our team were surprised and grateful that I would do this. Here’s the thing, 10yrs from now they may remember a group who came into their lives that did some medical checks and they got glasses but every kid today will remember the Canadian adults who took the time to learn their name, sing and dance with them and got wet whiling be the best at bobbing for apples. I want to be that adult in their life.
It was another tired group of people that filed into the bus after a busy day.
Waiting back at the church, was Dina with a delicious meal of marinated chicken, fresh buns and salsa and an incredible dessert of baked mashed plantains with cream cheese oozing between the pudding like cake. Melvin said it will always be the most favourite thing that Dina makes for him.
After dinner we had the choice of walking the neighbourhood or going back to our rooms. I really wanted to do the walk but my denim shorts were still quite damp format he slip and slide and I knew walking in them would chaft my legs raw. Instead I went back and hung out with Mabel. We had a wonderful intimate conversation about being an Optician in this world, about life choices and expectations and goals and how the trip is going and our team. I like this young millennial Optician more and more and am grateful to have her on our team.
Tomorrow is an adventure Sunday. Our non optical day before coming home. I’m looking forward to exploring and discovering new things and spending time with our team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Clinic Day

Exploring El Salvador

A Roller Coaster Finish In Nicaragua