A Well Oiled Machine-Clinic Day 2

I was so happy to wake up with a clear head and out of pain. Although I would still have some motor skills issues for the day(side effects of my medication), it was still the best possible outcome. I was glad to have a full night’s rest as we were on the road at 7am for breakfast with the clinic scheduled for 8am.
Dina had a comfort breakfast of porridge, toast and fresh fruit waiting for us. We were glad to have set up all the tables and chairs the night before to make the morning less frenzied and the youth group was back to help with the people and to make the day fun.
As soon as the gate opened, people started a line. It didn’t take long for it to become 3 layers deep. We were ready to help as many as we could. A typical day with 2 Opticians in Malawi meant we could see up to 150people. My hope was to do that today to with me doing all the refractions and Mary and Mabel fitting and dispensing. We are finding that the accuracy of the autorefractor is dependent on the charge so it is important to keep the battery above about 30%.
Irene was once again my patient charter and side kick. You would think I would be able to keep her name straight at this point. Nope, I keep calling her “Liz” which is the name of one of the nurses on the team. In all fairness they BOTH have a Scottish accent. Irene has learned that if she hears me call for Liz more than 3 times in a row that I PROBABLY me her. I have promised her I will work on this. Irene has promised that if I can get through 1(ONE) whole day without calling her Liz, she will buy me a unicorn. I have 5 days left...GAME ON.
Nelson is back as my interpreter today and I have always been so blessed to build a great relationship with the people who are my ears and mouth on these outreach projects. We took one look at the line and smiled with a “one-by-one” determination.
It was a real mix of ages today. Again, people who had never had their eyes examined seeing the world for the first time.
Rosa came in and declared how beautiful I was. I graciously thanked her and hoped that she didn’t need glasses. It’s been an interesting social experiment, this trip, as I have forgone all hair styling and makeup. What has been so kind are all the women who have seen the colours in my hair and the tangled curls and waves and told me how beautiful they think it is. I probably wouldn’t get this response in Canada.
I also had a few VERY young children who were none too happy about having their eyes checked. My fantastic sidekick, Irene/Liz(I’ve already blown my unicorn opportunity today) brought out some gumdrops she purchased at the store and used it as a bribe. Kids may not want to track a penlight but they won’t take their eyes off of candy. Problem solved!
A few of the youth had their eyes checked too. Kevin works making shoes and does very fine detail work. He has never worn glasses but needed an -2.50 RX. He was overwhelmed at how clear everything was. I didn’t get a chance to fit his glasses which has been a disappointment for me. The assessments are very important and as the person with the most experience and skill, it is best that I do them. But I really miss, fitting and selecting the glasses and seeing that moment when you get it right for someone. This is why I’m an Optician and not an Optometrist but I am grateful for all the Optometrists that I get to work with in Canada- I just don’t want to switch jobs.
At lunch, it had already felt like a full day. When I checked with Irene, we had done 92 assessments-that is a full day. But there were still people waiting and lots of time so a quick bite of sandwiches and watermelon and we were back to work.
We had our flow, we had our banter and we had person after person, bless us for coming to help. That is not a bad day at work. When the last assessment was done, 182 people had been helped that day. It is the most I have ever done even with 2 Opticians working. Our team really has this system down.
We had 30mins of downtime before dinner where the team contemplated who and how we could boost someone onto the roof to pick avacados from the tree. We couldn’t figure it out on time.
Dina didnt’ disappoint us with dinner, fresh salad, beef casserole, beans & rice and hand made tortillas with blueberry bunt cake for dessert.
Right after dinner there was a youth service at the church which we were going to stay for. As the kids arrived, Kevin came up and showed me his new glasses and thanked me for helping him see. That’s how everyone should feel when they put on their glasses.
While the service was rocking beside us. I joined the ladies in the kitchen who were making snacks for afterwards. There were enchiladas that are small flat crisped fried tortillas topped with retried beans, cheese and hand made salsa. Also these things that were like drives pasta but when deep fired in oil puffed up like pork rinds and 4X their original size. You know that anything that soaked us enough oil to make it 4X bigger MUST be good for you! I’m bring some home to Canada.
I also met Melvin’s son-in-law, Pedro who spoke excellent English. I asked him where he learned and and he said “Watching TV” I laughed and said I bet it was “Friends” He was so surprised YES! It was his favourite show. This is the 3rd time I have met someone on these trips who learned English from watching that show. How you doin’, Pedro? He laughed and responded “How you doin’”.
After the service, we went back to the accommodations where a graduation party was rocking in the conference room. I couldn’t convince anyone to join me in crashing it so I am out on our porch listen to the music and fireworks of the celebration.
Tomorrow I am off of Optical duties but we are assisting the local sports outreach by coaching some kids through some games. I get the feeling there won’t be a curling team I can work with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Clinic Day

Clinic Day 3- Lots of Joy

Exploring El Salvador